Wednesday 11 May 2011

The size zero phenomenon

Model Cassie Sumner
AFTER speculation and controversy, hundreds of eating disorders and a number of deaths, designers finally announce, “No size zero models on our catwalk.” But is this really the case? 
Model Cassie Sumner, 28, explains how at the age of 19 she was surrounded by scarily thin girls, who all suffered with some type of eating disorder, bulimia or anorexia, in order to maintain this unhealthy lifestyle. Effectively making themselves ill to get the opportunity of being selected for the top fashion shows on the catwalk. 
Many models are criticised for being “too big” for the catwalk, therefore forcing them to take drastic measures, such as undergoing life threatening illnesses.

“If this is not enough they will also starve themselves”

Some models are so obsessed with sticking to this extreme lifestyle they are addicted to the gym and will motivate themselves to go for hours every day. Cassie explains:
“If this is not enough they will also starve themselves, eating only an apple and a glass of water each day, consequently leaving them violently ill. The majority of models also replace food with habits like smoking, or the extreme of drug taking, placing them in hospital for several weeks.”
Picture from Cassie's online modelling portfolio
 After being diagnosed with the harsh effects of bulimia, Cassie realised that this particular lifestyle wasn’t for her.

“Only use size zero model’s”

She explained how globally, catwalks have constantly promoted the stick-thin image. Forcing other females to feel insecure and start heavily dieting, in order to follow in the footsteps of these beautiful fashion icons. Not realising that this particular lifestyle does not come naturally, and in fact takes a lot of work and pain.

“All we are exposed to is the finished image, sculpted by these roofless designers.”
Designer John Rocha stated: “There are no size zeros on my catwalk, I don’t think I even know what one is”.

“Battle through the mountain of petite sizes"

The size zero phenomena seems to have spread to the top high street fashion retailers. 35 year old, Christine Hook described how she despises going shopping due to the lack of availability on larger sized clothes.

“I can’t go shopping with my friends, as I am embarrassed to hunt for clothes that will actually fit, having to battle through the mountains of petit sizes.”

48 year old, Karen Nicholes, is a size 16 and expressed how these fashion icons have pressured her to make a life changing decision.

"I constantly feel so insecure whenever I consider going shopping, as I feel a like no fashion retailer accommodates for my size, so now I do all my shopping online, to save any embarrassment and upset.

"But, even online all of the models for the clothes are tiny, and I feel like I’m constantly comparing myself to these fashionable models.

"After having four kids, I am unable to lose the baby fat. It gets me so depressed, my husband recently booked me in for a major operation to alter my body, so I am more likely to find clothes that will fit and feel less insecure when I leave my house."

No comments:

Post a Comment